By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Understand the concept of subcomponent design.
- Understand decomposition and recomposition.
- Use the Design Heuristic tool to design parts of ideas or products.
Computer, projector, printed handouts, pencils.
1. Introduction to Subcomponent Design
- Design Heuristics can be used to modify individual components or parts of existing products or ideas.
- This enables designers to improve individual parts of a design.
2. Subcomponent Design
- Design by parts or components is a method which comes from engineering.
- Decomposition: is the process of breaking something apart into smaller pieces that can be independently addressed.
- Recomposition: Is the process of taking the redesigned subcomponents and putting them back together into the whole object/system.
3. Examples of Subcomponent Design
- Students should be able to see how subcomponent design is EVERYWHERE and can sometimes be described as attention to detail!!
Purpose: Subcomponent Design Familiarisation
Subcomponent Design – Bicycle: The students will be asked to select 5 subcomponents of a bicycle and redesign each individual subcomponent.
This activity will enable to understand the concept decomposition by redesigning the subcomponents of a seating device.
This activity will enable to understand the concept recomposition by redesigning decomposed subcomponents of the seating device from activity 2.
Subcomponent Design – Superhero:
This activity will see the students redesign prescribed and optional subcomponents of their superhero.