By the end of the lesson, pupils should be able to:
- Understand the purpose of the Design Heuristic tool.
- Understand how to use Design Heuristics to generate initial ideas.
Computer, projector, printed handouts, pencils.
1. Introduction to Design Heuristics
- What are Design Heuristics?
- Idea modifiers to push your thinking further.
- Design Heuristics are a tool to help you think and modify ideas.
2. Design Heuristic Guidelines
- Use any part of a card to generate a new idea
- Generate new ideas by applying a card to a previous idea
- Use the abstract image to inspire ideas
- Use the title to inspire ideas
- Use the description to inspire ideas
3. Using the Cards
- There are many ways to use Design Heuristics to push your idea generation and development further:
o Generate initial ideas
o Transform ideas
o Change parts or sub-components of ideas
Reinforces the importance of recording your own initial ideas first; natural idea generation.
Problem: Generate ideas for a superhero.
To help students overcome exhaustion, they will use Design Heuristics to push their thinking a little further to generate more ideas.
Problem: Generate more ideas for a superhero.